How to sum it up to date? Everything seems off. Like life is simultaneously happening at lightening speed as seen in slow motion.
And so a mixtape, per usual, to sum it up. It may not explicitly say FORWARD. But it is there, hidden among the verses. You have to trust me on this one.
There was running, of course, but slower and less consistent then usual. Running nonetheless. And even biking, although that doesn’t have a soundtrack. Drum corps and enthusiasm for annual meetings I have yet to attend. In early spring a sweet wedding in Mexico with a double rainbow, for the sweetest kids, one whom was just a baby when we first met. The one with the singing on the plaza and the fish tacos. Frankly, that one perplexed me the longest and hence the delay. But I figured it out, or at least pushed forward. And, after all, that’s the point of all of this anyway isn’t it? Another wedding, the one with the palm trees and café lights and celebrity attendees, and yet we were all just the same, singing at the top of our lungs to songs we all share as if we went to the same high school.
This was the summer (and spring and winter) of the new car. The one with the satellite radio that seems extravagant yet brings me so much daily joy. Thank you First Wave, for making my commute something to sing about, at the top of my lungs, shades on, sunroof open. There was slow progress made on the Tidy Up. Is it done, I am not sure, but it is close, and there is more space and order than ever. I am open to all that comes from that. That openness allows for reflection. And there is indeed reflection. In the why of it all, in the unfairness of it all, in the high moments and low moments. The lowest of the low. The laughter and joy through the tears. Of the songs without words.
I am ready for something good, I think—-and we’ve made plans for that. A road trip is order, and we’ll be sure to play it, all of it. Shades on, sunroof open, singing at the top of our lungs, moving forward. Watching it all in slow motion.
2015 OLW mixtape
- Technologic 4:44 Daft Punk Human After All
- Wind It Up 3:10 Gwen Stefani The Sweet Escape
- Dance The Night Away 4:23 The Mavericks Definitive Collection
- Panic 2:21 The Smiths The Sound of The Smiths
- You’ve Got Time 3:10 Regina Spektor Orange Is the New Black (Soundtrack)
- Turning Japanese 3:46 The Vapors Turning Japanese – Best of the Vapors
- 99 Red Balloons 3:51 Nena 99 Luftballons
- Heartbeats 2:42 José González Veneer
- The Man Who Can’t Be Moved 4:01 The Script The Script
- The House That Built Me 3:57 Miranda Lambert Revolution
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow 5:12 Israel Kamakawiwo’ole Ka ‘Ano’i
- Picture Me 5:18 Yiruma Love Scene (Yiruma Piano Solo)
- Your Hand In Mine 8:17 Explosions In the Sky The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place
- Airstream Song 2:48 Miranda Lambert Revolution
- Lost In My Mind 4:19 The Head and the Heart The Head and the Heart
- I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) 3:39 The Proclaimers Sunshine On Leith
- Waves 3:49 The Cruise Slowly Drifting After U